Monday 28 March 2011

Summer 2011 backpacking trip


I’ve been thinking a lot lately about leaving for a new backpacking trip. The last time I left was about two years ago now, and I’m starting to itch to go back.

Picture I took from Tikal ruins in Guatemala, stunning!


I’m hesitating between going back to Asia or going back to Central America. If I return to Asia, I intend on going to Thailand mostly and maybe Cambodia and Vietnam, which I both missed last time I went. On the other hand, if I go to Central America, I would visit Panama, Costa Rica and go back to Honduras.

This is the beach we stayed on during our time in Caye Caulker Belize


While the average living expense for a backpacker is quite higher in Central America than in South-East Asia, the plane is much cheaper. Two tickets for Bangkok Thailand would cost us no less than 3000 CAD $ if we are lucky, while taking a plane to Panama would only be around 1000$. A 2000$ difference changes a lot of things in a backpacker’s budget, trust me!
Therefore, I’m not sure which destination would be best for us. Does an higher living expense in general end up costing more than paying triple for the plane tickets? While I doubt it, who knows? Thailand is really cheap and Costa Rica is probably the most expensive country in Central America by far.

View from our Bungalow in Caye Caulker. Most gorgeous island I have ever been on!


What do you guys suggest? Do you know any other backpacker friendly cheap destinations that have beaches, but also forests?

Also would a post about how I pack my bag for backpacking be any interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...