Wednesday 27 March 2013

Easy Nail Art Tutorial : Galaxy Nails

I've seen a few pictures of Galaxy Nails recently and I must say, I think they look amazing! When I learned that they were made with the sponging technique, I had to jump on the band wagon and make my own. I'll show you how I achieved these cute galaxy nails. It's super easy and even nail art beginners can make this design easily. The proof is that I'm satisfied with mine and I'm usually no good when it comes to painting my nails :P




First off, here are the tools you will need to achieve the Galaxy Nails :

I forgot to add the pale pink polish I used in this picture

  • Nail polish remover for touch ups (I'm using 100% acetone, which is quite drying for the cuticles, but works great for precise cleanups around the edges. If you choose this method, make sure you have either a cuticle cream or at least a good hand cream to apply afterwards)
  • 7 nail polishes : 1 black, 1 grey, 1 purple, 1 navy blue, 1 pale pink, 1 glittery top coat, 1 glitter polish.
  • Top Coat
  • Cosmetic sponge (it has to be porous, if it's dense it won't work properly)
  • Small rounded brush for clean ups (you can also use cotton buds)
  • Cuticle cream or moisturizing hand lotion
1) Start with a black base :

Kind of looks messy at this point because I didn't bother to clean up neatly yet
2) On the flat side of the cosmetic sponge, place a small amount of purple polish in the shape of a circle. Using a paper towel, sponge off the excess polish until only a small amount of polish comes off at a time. We want the colors to be subtle and blend in with the background. Start sponging the color on the nails. Don't do the whole nail,  choose a small section and sponge the color lightly. Change the position and shape of your sponging for each nail.

I used one corner for each color. That's how my sponge looked like at the end of the manicure.

As you can see the purple is quite subtle.

3) Repeat the process with the three other colors. The colors can overlap. Leave a portion of the nail black to create more depth. Wait for a minute or so in between each color to allow the polish to dry. This shouldn't take very long since the polish is applied in very thin layers by the sponging technique.


First add the blue (sorry this looks messy)

Then add the grey

Finally add the pink
4) Cover the nails with a glittery top coat. This will help the look come together  It should look like stars in the sky.

The picture is a little blurry because my camera had a hard time focusing on the nails after I applied the glitter.
5) Add the glittery polish. I chose a blue glitter with large round glitter pieces and small glitter. You could choose a silver one also. Don't place this all over the nail. Only apply it to portions of the nail and vary the placement from one nail to another. Try to avoid placing too many large glitter pieces so to not overwhelm the design.



6) Add a clear top coat to protect the design from chipping.

7) Clean up the edges with a small brush or with cotton buds.

And you're done! Pretty easy right? I'm quite pleased with the results. My camera doesn't do the design justice, it is much nicer in real life :)

That's it for this super easy nail art tutorial! Let me know if you'd like to see more of these and tell me if you try these galaxy nails, I'd love to see yours ♥

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...